Sunday, March 8, 2015

Flowers Make the Best Background, right?

Hey all! How is everyone? I'm actually in the Philippines now and on my last night here. I'm flying home tomorrow. Anyways, I'm in such a watercolouring mood that I've decided to make another card using that medium. I hope you're no sick of my amateur watercolouring skills yet! :D






When you randomly repeat stamp an image, you automatically have made your own custom patterned paper to give yourself a nice background for your card. There are so many ways to make your own background paper. You can do it with tone-on-tone inks, embossing, copic colouring, etc. 

Today, I'm showing you watercolouring background. I was inspired by all the floral dresses I have to make this. 


Whenever I want to do no-line watercolouring, I use Antique Linen Distress Ink. You can even go lighter with an even lighter distress ink colour or do a second generation stamping. I did not pre-planned where I want the flowers and leaves to be stamped, I just stamped them and filled up the spaces with the small leaf.


I used a combination of Distress Markers & Inks as I don't have all the colours I wanted to use in marker form. When I used the ink pad, I press the pad directly on my acrylic block to get some colour. 

With the marker, I used the colour directly onto the paper to shade the darkest area. I, then, took my wet waterbrush and pull the colour to the rest of the image to create a smooth gradient.


Just wanted to show you the finished background.


I've added a layer of vellum below my layer of sentiment because I wanted the area around my sentiment to be slightly muted. I feel like this way, the sentiment would not get lost in the busy background.

I always find a way to attach vellum by using those adhesive spots by the top layer to drop my glue on the vellum. If you have a bigger vellum piece, you can either, sew it or add some embellishments. You can use the embellishments to hide your adhesive under the vellum.




Distress Inks & Markers
Waterbrush






Vellum are inexpensive and easy to get. I got mine from an office supply store. Vellum is a great thing to have in hand to muted your busy background to keep it subtle. I hope you'll give this a try! 



Follow Create A Smile on Facebook keep yourself updates on all the happenings and if you're an Instagram addict like I am, you can follow Create A Smile using this name : @createasmilestamps ! :)

Thanks for stopping by,


Marina

10 comments:

  1. If you're an amateur I wonder what that would make me? Your watercoloring is lovely and I love the background you created here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the flowers in no-line-watercoloring, they are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, this is SO beautiful! Love your coloring, your color choice, the simple design - I love simply everything about this card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous card, I love it!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your watercoloring is amateur then mine is infantile. lol Your card is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this card is awesome. The background looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a work of art. Your coloring is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a work of art. Your coloring is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete